The City of Oakley Calif. Police Department logo. seal badge (Oakley Police Department via Bay City News)

The ex-boyfriend and suspected killer of an Oakley woman was shot and killed by police this week as officers attempted to arrest him in Kent, Washington, the Oakley Police Department said Thursday.

Officers with the Pacific Northwest Violent Offenders Task Force, which includes 27 federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, attempted to take Antioch resident Marshall Curtis Jones III, 27, into custody in Kent after Oakley and Antioch police obtained a warrant to arrest him in connection with the suspected death of Oakley resident Alexis Gabe.

According to Oakley police, task force officers arrived Wednesday at an apartment in Kent where Jones was believed to be hiding. Jones then allegedly charged at officers with a knife, at which point he was shot and subsequently pronounced dead at the scene.

Gabe, 24, disappeared in January and was last seen at Jones’ residence in Antioch. One day after her disappearance on Jan. 26, Gabe’s family found her car abandoned and unlocked with the keys inside.

Her body has yet to be found, but Oakley Police Chief Paul Beard said Thursday that investigators believe Gabe was murdered.

“Our search for Alexis has been a very vigorous one. We have literally searched for her via land, sea and air,” Beard said. “Due to the information that has been yielded during our long and intensive investigation … we believe that Alexis Gabe is the victim of a homicide.”

According to Oakley police and the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office, which has helped investigate the case, Jones became a suspect soon after Gabe’s disappearance.

A Contra Costa County Superior Court judge approved a wiretap of Jones’ cellphone in April as part of the investigation.

Investigators submitted a criminal referral to District Attorney Diana Becton’s office on May 25. The referral included the intercepted phone records and data as well as a cellphone case from Gabe’s personal cellphone, which had Jones’ DNA on it and investigators found near Jones’ residence.

The following day, Becton filed a murder charge against Jones for allegedly killing Gabe.

“I, along with the police agencies who have worked tirelessly to bring justice to the Gabe family, wish to express our deepest condolences for the loss of their beloved daughter,” Becton said in a statement Thursday. “My office will continue to seek justice in finding Alexis so her family can have a sense of closure to this tragic loss of life.”

The investigation into Gabe’s disappearance is ongoing, according to Oakley police.