Seven Bay Area schools are among 28 in the state and 325 nationwide that were recently recognized as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2021, U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona announced.
Schools are given the recognition each year based on overall academic performance or noteworthy progress in closing achievement gaps, according to federal education officials.
The schools recognized in the Bay Area are:
• Dr. T.J. Owens Gilroy Early College Academy in the Gilroy Unified School District
• Burton Valley Elementary School in the Lafayette School District
• Saint Simon Parish School in the Diocese of San Jose
• Technology High School in the Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District
• Ross Elementary School in the Ross Elementary School District
• Chinese Immersion School at DeAvila in the San Francisco Unified School District
• Challenger School – Berryessa in the Challenger School District
“This year’s cohort of honorees demonstrates what is possible when committed educators and school leaders create vibrant, welcoming, and affirming school cultures where rich teaching and learning can flourish,” Cardona said in a statement.