Local News Matters weekly newsletter
Start your week with a little inspiration. Sign up for our informative, community-based newsletter, delivered on Mondays with news about the Bay Area.
This Saturday, Aug. 21, residents of Sonoma, Marin and Mendocino counties can pick up a drought toolkit to help them save water during the historic drought in the Russian River watershed.
The “Drought Drop By” events will take place between 8 a.m. and noon at various locations across the three counties. Well owners in Petaluma Valley, Santa Rosa Plain and Sonoma Valley are also encouraged to pick up the kits, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each kit contains a bucket to catch water to reuse, a low-flow showerhead and low-flow faucet aerator, a 5-minute timer for showers, toilet dye test tablets and a self-closing garden hose nozzle.
The organizers of the event hope residents will use the tools to help meet the water use reductions in place across the Bay Area. Sonoma County has asked residents to voluntarily reduce their water usage by 20 percent, while the Marin Municipal Water District has adopted a mandatory 40 percent reduction in water use.
“These free water saving tools in our community’s hands will not just increase water conservation, but raise awareness of the severity of this drought,” Sonoma Water Director and Sonoma County Supervisor David Rabbitt said in a statement. “We all need to take action now by eliminating water waste and adopting water smart habits. We can all take shorter showers, reduce irrigation, and achieve permanent savings by installing water efficient devices.”
Eligible residents can pick up their water-saving kit at the following locations during the duration of the event. Curbside and walk-up pickup are available:
• Cloverdale: Cloverdale Plaza, 124 N. Cloverdale Blvd.
• Cotati: Cotati City Hall, 201 W. Sierra Ave.
• Healdsburg: Healdsburg Community Center, 1552 Healdsburg Ave.
• El Verano: Valley of the Moon Water District, 19039 Bay St., Sonoma
• Petaluma: Petaluma Community Center at Luchessi Park – 320 N. McDowell Blvd.
• Rohnert Park: Rohnert Park Community Center – 5401 Snyder Lane
• Santa Rosa: Coddingtown Mall (enter off Range Avenue behind JCPenney)
• Santa Rosa: Nagasawa Park, 1313 Fountaingrove Parkway
• City of Sonoma: Sonoma Town Plaza
• Windsor: Town of Windsor Corporation Yard, 8400 Windsor Road
• Corte Madera: Marin Water, 220 Nellen Ave.
• Novato: North Marin Water District, 999 Rush Creek Place
• Ukiah: Lucky Supermarket (parking lot), 504 E. Perkins St.