THE WEST CONTRA COSTA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT board has unanimously approved a sweeping fiscal solvency plan that will cut $42 million from its approximately $500 million budget for the 2026-27 school year.
The Feb. 11 vote comes after the district, which serves 25,000 students in Richmond, El Cerrito, San Pablo, Pinole, Hercules and nearby unincorporated areas, held numerous community meetings to discuss the plan, which includes a 10% reduction in staffing levels by the next fiscal year, which starts July 1. The plan also outlines the closure and consolidation of some schools, among other cuts.
At the end of over five hours of discussion and public comment, the board made some small amendments, including allowing elementary schools to retain School Community Outreach Workers known as SCOWS, who work to engage parents in their children’s education.
As for how it will reduce staffing by 10%, district leaders have said since announcing their solvency plan in January that they hope to do so as much as possible by not filling job openings, as well as through resignations and retirements. By state law, districts must inform staff of possible layoffs or transfers by March 15.
The budget cuts come after the December settlement of the district’s first teachers strike in its history. The settlement gave teachers and other employees wage and health benefit increases. But in the weeks since the settlement, the district, board, unions and community have grappled with how the district can remain solvent and avoid state receivership.
Fears of losing district control
“These are incredibly difficult decisions,” said Demetrio Gonzalez-Hoy, a board member, a former bilingual teacher in the district and former union president. He voted for the compensation package last month, as well as for the fiscal solvency plan Wednesday night. “If we do not right-size our budget, we risk losing control and decisions could be made for us that would be even more harmful to our schools.”
Jamela Smith-Folds, a parent in the district and a former teacher, criticized fellow board members who supported labor settlements with district employees without a clear path to fund them. “When the majority of the board voted ‘yes’, they knew they were voting yes to mergers, people losing their jobs, middle school shifts and programming losses,” she said.
“If we do not right-size our budget, we risk losing control and decisions could be made for us that would be even more harmful to our schools.”
Demetrio Gonzalez-Hoy, WCCUSD board member
The most vocal display of support came from parents, students and staff at the Betty Reid Soskin Middle School, who turned out in force to persuade the board to keep the under-enrolled school open. The solvency plan calls for it to be merged with Pinole Middle School, a mile and a half away.
The school is named after the legendary Betty Reid Soskin, who worked as a ranger at the Rosie the Riveter National Historical Park in Richmond, and at age 100 was the oldest National Park Service ranger in the nation. She died in December at the age of 104.
Board member Gonzalez-Hoy apologized to the school’s supporters for having to vote to merge it with Pinole. The board pledged to find other ways to honor Soskin’s legacy. “I’m truly sorry that we are in this position, and I’m hoping this choice will actually be good in the long term,” he said.
This story originally appeared in EdSource.

