The Contra Costa County Court House in Martinez, Calif., on October 4, 2021. (Ray Saint Germain/Bay City News)

Contra Costa County Superior Court has announced it will continue suspending new jury trials over an uptick in COVID-19 infections, especially among court personnel, attorneys, court litigants, and other court users.

The court suspended new jury trials on Dec, 27, 2021. The latest suspension is expected to last until Feb. 7, though a court spokesman said that could be extended.

“The court hopes to resume full operations on February 7, 2022, but the current risk of continued exposure and spread of the new COVID-19 variant continues to be too great for those who work for or at the Court, access court facilities, and appear in courtrooms (including those who are detained in county jail or live in congregant care facilities),” said last week press release. “As before, all other court operations, including access to the court clerk’s offices, remain uninterrupted. The court understands how important and vital access is for those seeking adjudication of their matters. The court will continue to monitor the situation closely so that jury trials may resume at the earliest possible time and when it is safer to do so.”