MAY 14, 2021

Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled a revised state budget built around a $100 billion post-pandemic recovery plan. The proposal remains relevant to state debates over surplus spending, one-time investments, and how California should use public resources after economic disruption.

Bay City News Reported:

Newsom Proposes $100 Billion Post-Pandemic Recovery Plan

Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled his revised state budget proposal Friday, including a $100 billion economic recovery plan and scores of one-time spending thanks to a nearly $76 billion projected surplus. The $267.8 billion budget includes a $196.8 billion general fund and is roughly $41 billion more than the initial budget Newsom proposed in January. The increase in proposed spending was made possible by the state receiving billions more dollars in tax revenue than expected over the last year as the state’s wealthiest residents got even wealthier, according to Newsom and state budget officials.

“That (recovery plan) is the biggest economic recovery package — period, full stop — in California history,” Newsom said.

Newsom spent the week leading up to Friday’s announcement teasing bits and pieces of the budget and the recovery package, which he has dubbed the California Comeback Plan. The plan includes sending $600 stimulus checks to state residents who made up to $75,000 last year, spending billions to assist with rent and utility bills that have gone unpaid due to the coronavirus pandemic, making pre-kindergarten available to all 4-year-olds in the state and some $4 billion in relief grants for small businesses. Newsom touted the budget’s $93.7 billion in public education funding as the most ever allocated to schools by the state.

That figure also does not include some $15.3 billion in federal education funding and another $8.1 billion in tax revenue that could be funneled to education spending via the “Gann limit,” a 1979 voter-approved ballot measure that puts an annual limit on government spending. When the limit is reached, the remaining money must be returned to taxpayers. The roughly $12 billion that will fund the $600 stimulus checks is also part of that strategy to disperse money that surpassed the Gann limit, according to state officials.

The education funding would amount to roughly $14,000 per student across the state, double what the state was spending per student a decade ago, according to Newsom. The state would spend $900 million in 2022-2023 and $2.7 billion in 2024-2025 under the plan to make pre-kindergarten universally available. Some 250,000 students would gain access to pre-K once fully implemented, Newsom said. The budget includes $3.3 billion to train and support the additional teachers needed to expand the availability of pre-kindergarten and cut the ratio of pre-K students to teachers from 24-to-one to 12-to-one. “We want to make public schools essential,” Newsom said. “We want to make them competitive. We want to make our public education system enriching. We want to make our public education system what it’s capable of being.”

The funding plan also includes $2 billion to open personal savings accounts for some 3.7 million low-income, foster, homeless and English-learning youth. The savings accounts would be seeded with $500 base deposits for every student in the program and an additional $500 for students who are homeless or in foster care. The accounts could eventually be used to help pay for college or start a business, Newsom said, noting that some studies have found that children with early financial access and planning are seven times more likely to go to college. “This is an opportunity to address generational poverty,” Newsom said. “This is an opportunity to stretch a college-going mind but also an opportunity to look at trade school and entrepreneurial spirit… because we recognize there are many pathways for our children.”

The budget proposal also includes billions to help unhoused residents get off the streets; build some 46,000 housing units for unhoused residents; clean the state’s streets, freeways and neighborhoods; install broadband internet across the state; modernize the state’s infrastructure; invest in clean and renewable energy sources; and invest in drought and wildfire preparedness and resilience. Newsom framed the spending in the proposed budget as economic supports that will help the state’s economy come “roaring back” from last year’s nadir in the pandemic’s early days, which forced the state to make financial cuts to shore up a roughly $54 billion budget deficit.

The revised budget proposal, while released on schedule, also comes as Newsom faces an effort to recall him and multiple Republican candidates that have argued the projected surplus is so large only because the state taxes its residents too much. State Republican Party Chair Jessica Millan Patterson said in a statement that the week-long budget rollout — which Newsom has done in the past — was a de-facto response tour to the recall effort and called him “shameless” for taking some credit in the state’s economic rebound. “The only credit he and Democrats deserve is for California’s shuttered businesses, sky-high unemployment, deteriorating unemployment department, shrinking population, devastating homeless crisis and failing education system that is punishing students and parents through its union-first virtual schooling,” she said. State Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, praised Newsom for the revised budget proposal’s priorities. “Thank goodness California is in the position to make transformative investments to end family homelessness, lift those hurt by the pandemic and properly fund our schools,” said Skinner, the chair of the Senate Budget Committee. “Gov. Newsom’s proposed budget does that and more and complements the state Senate’s priorities,” she said. “Let the negotiations begin.” Full details on Newsom’s revised budget proposal can be found at http://www.ebudget.ca.gov. Newsom and the state legislature will have until June 15 to approve the budget before the new fiscal year begins on July 1.

MAY 14, 2016

The Contra Costa County Office of Education honored high school students for achievement in career technical education and regional occupational programs. The awards point to a continuing workforce priority: practical training that gives students clearer pathways to regional employers.

Bay City News reported:

Contra Costa County Honors Career Technical Education Students

The Contra Costa County Office of Education honored 41 high school students Thursday with Students of Excellence Awards. The students, representing 27 schools in Contra Costa and Alameda counties, received Students of Excellence Awards for their outstanding achievement in their Career Technical Education/Regional Occupational Program classes. The students were each presented with a certificate of merit and a $250 scholarship award.

There were more than 200 attendees at the event, which was held at the Concord Senior Center. Contra Costa County Superintendent of Schools Karen Sakata, County Board of Education President Christine Deane, Assembly Member Jim Frazier, D-Oakley, and CCCOE Director of Student Programs Janet Haun spoke at the event.

MAY 14, 2006

California Chief Justice Ronald George was selected for a national award recognizing distinction as a state judge. The recognition draws attention to enduring concerns about public confidence in courts, judicial independence, and the role of state courts in major civic disputes.

Bay City News reported:

California Chief Justice To Receive National Judicature Award

California Chief Justice Ronald George has been selected to receive an annual award from the American Judicature Society for distinction as a state judge. Society President Allan Sobel announced earlier this month that George was chosen to receive the Third Annual Dwight D. Opperman Award for Judicial Excellence.

The American Judicature Society, based in Des Moines, Iowa, was founded in 1913 and is a national organization that works to improve the administration of justice and public confidence in the American legal system. The award, named after a former legal publisher, honors a current judge of a state trial or appellate court. The award will be given later this year on a date to be determined, the society said.

George was appointed chief justice of the seven-member California Supreme Court, which has its headquarters in San Francisco, in 1996. As chief justice, he also heads the California court system, which is the largest in the nation, with more than 2,000 judicial officers. Sobel said that George had shown “outstanding leadership” during his decade as chief justice and had spearheaded several reform measures despite chronic underfunding for California courts. The measures include merger of all municipal and superior courts into a single trial court, known as superior court, for each county; transferring responsibility for funding trial courts from counties to the state; and transferring ownership of California’s 451 courthouses from the counties to the state.

George was nominated for the award by Justice Richard Mosk of the state Court of Appeal in Los Angeles. Mosk wrote in his nomination letter, “Chief Justice George has done a magnificent job in helping ensure that the judiciary in California can perform its mission for the people of California.”


Editorโ€™s Note: All the reporting, writing, and editing of this content was done by human journalists at the time of initial publication. AI tools were used to surface these stories from our internal Bay City News archives and provide the introductory context.