ALAMEDA-CONTRA COSTA TRANSIT is asking the public to weigh in on its plans to change the way its board of directors is elected.
Currently the AC Transit board consists of members elected from voters within five wards, while two “at-large” members are chosen by all of the voters in the transit agency’s service district, which includes large parts of Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
The new plan calls for eliminating the at-large seats and adding two more wards, according to AC Transit officials.
People are asked to provide input for how the new wards will be drawn up by submitting comments during hearings or workshops, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (510) 891-7192.
People are also encouraged to use AC Transit’s online ward map drafting tool, which can be found at ACTransit.org/redistricting, along with more information about the process, including Zoom meeting links.
Upcoming AC Transit board meetings and redistricting workshops where people can comment include:
- Wednesday at 6 p.m. — AC Transit General Offices, 1600 Franklin St., Oakland, second floor board room and via Zoom
- Thursday at 6:30 p.m. — AC Transit General Offices, second floor board room, 1600 Franklin St., Oakland
- Sept. 30 at 2 p.m. — Fremont Family Resource Center, Pacific Room, 39155 Liberty St., Fremont
- Oct. 4 at 6 p.m. — 1600 Franklin St., Oakland, second floor board room and via Zoom
- Oct. 12 at 6:30 p.m. — via Zoom
- Oct. 17 at 6:30 p.m. — via Zoom
- Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. — 1600 Franklin St., Oakland, second floor board room and via Zoom