Local News Matters weekly newsletter
Start your week with a little inspiration. Sign up for our informative, community-based newsletter, delivered on Mondays with news about the Bay Area.
A jury has found Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Hall guilty of assault with a firearm, but could not reach a decision on a related manslaughter charge.
On Nov. 3, 2018, Hall shot 33-year-old Laudemer Arboleda nine times as he attempted to drive away from Danville police.
Hall’s attorney Harry Stern said afterward he would likely appeal the assault conviction.
“We’re going to be looking at that very closely,” Stern said following the verdict Tuesday. “It’s really a sad day for Andrew Hall.”
Prosecutors left the Martinez courtroom without comment, heading back to their office with Arboleda’s family. The DA’s office can retry the case, and judge Terri Mockler set a Jan. 14 court date for a new trial motion.
“Today’s guilty verdict holds accountable defendant Andrew Hall for his excessive use of force in the fatal shooting of Laudemer Arboleda,” Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton said in a statement. “Deputy Hall’s actions were not only a crime, but they tarnished the badge and they harmed the reputation of all the good, hard working police officers that work for our community.
“With regards to the voluntary manslaughter count, we will take the matter under review to determine the appropriate next steps.”
Adante Pointer, one of the attorneys representing Arboleda’s family in a civil suit, called the outcome “partial justice.” He said Hall could do as many as 17 years in state person on the assault charge.
“But it was a big step towards holding Andrew Hall responsible and accountable for needlessly taking this young man’s life,” Pointer said. “But the fight isn’t over. While the family is happy that he’s finally being (held) criminally responsible for what he did in destroying this young man’s life, we still feel there’s more justice to be had.”
Pointer said a police officer had never been held criminally accountable for shooting someone in Contra Costa County until Tuesday.
Hall was involved in another shooting in March 2021 in Danville, when he killed 32-year-old transient Tyrell Wilson near the Sycamore Valley Road overpass of Interstate 680.
Police say Wilson approached Hall with a knife. Mockler ruled last month the incident could not be used against Hall during the trial. Authorities are still investigating the second shooting, and no charges have been filed.
“Deputy Hall’s actions were not only a crime, but they tarnished the badge and they harmed the reputation of all the good, hard working police officers that work for our community.”District Attorney Diana Becton
“That’s an officer who should be never walking the streets, disrespecting the badge, and terrorizing the community,” Pointer said.
Stern said the jury favored acquitting Hall of the manslaughter charge, 7-5, when the hung jury was called. He said his team will look closely at some legal issues that came up during the trial, including instructions given to the jury.
“I am grateful that seven jurors were convinced he was not guilty,” Stern said.
Arboleda led Danville police on a slow speed pursuit in 2018, after someone called police in response to the Newark man knocking on their door. Arboleda pulled over multiple times, only to drive away from police. At one point, they drew their guns without shooting, as Arboleda drove away.
Hall was only involved at the very end, when he pulled in front of Arboleda at the corner of Front Street and Diablo Road. He exited his car and stood near the Honda’s front right side.
As Arboleda tried pulling away at 6 mph, Hall discharged his weapon 10 times, hitting Arboleda with nine. Arboleda was pronounced dead at the scene.