School supplies. (Special to Bay City News/iravgustin)

The Alisal Union School District is beginning gradually reopening its classrooms starting Tuesday after more than a year of distance learning.

About 60 percent of the Salinas-based district’s students will return to a hybrid form of in-person instruction, while the remaining 40 percent will complete the school year online.

First through sixth grade classes will be split into two sessions to limit the number of students in a classroom at anytime. There will be a morning session from 8:15 a.m. – 11:15 p.m. and an afternoon session from 12:05 p.m. – 3:05 p.m.

Kindergarten and transitional-kindergarten students will have the same start times but will leave 15 minutes ahead of their older peers.

Students in transitional kindergarten and kindergarten will be the first to return to campus on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, first-grade students will start and the following day, second graders will return.

On Friday, both third- and fourth-graders will start on campus and by April 20, fifth- and sixth-graders will join their younger cohorts.

District officials said having younger students return first will ensure that they have enough time to learn the school routines, and also said the gradual reopening comes after months of planning and the implementation of many safety measures to ensure the health of staff and students.